St Stephen’s Green Park in Dublin 2 is one of the largest parks in one of Dublin’s main Georgian Squares, providing a burst of green and calm, within Dublin’s City Centre. Filled with four centuries of history, the park provides sanctuary for a large number of important sculptural monuments to Irish history. With four busy main streets surrounding the park, the park is still home to many birds and plants, along with a playground and a garden for the visually impaired. If you’re looking for a hotel near St. Stephen’s Green, Maldron Kevin Street is just 10 minute walk away
Flowing with history, this park was part of the 1916 Easter rising, when the glasshouse was used as a First Aid Station, with bullet holes still visible to this day. After the Easter Rising, the park was cared for by Sir Arthur Guinness. He lived and grew up in Iveagh House on St Stephen’s Green and cared for this greenery wanting to buy the green from the commission and return it to the public. He paid off the park’s debts and secured an Act which ensured the park would be managed and maintained by the Commissioners of Public Works, now the OPW. Sir Arthur then took an active part in the design of the redeveloped park including a three-acre lake with a waterfall, rockwork and a bridge along with a selection of flower beds and fountains. The park was reopened, after three years of construction work on 27th July 1880.